Friday, July 22, 2011

Television Memories

Naturally the kid on crutches gets front page in his father's employee newsletter.
Lorine McGinnis Schultz’s post “Sharing Memories” from July 17 reminded me of when my family acquired their first T.V. in 1953.

As a background in 1953 I had what is called “perthes “ - I leave it to you to look this up in your dictionary ! It meant that for a year I was in a harness preventing me from using my leg. What do you do with a five year old who spends his days getting around on crutches ?

The answer seems to have been to get him a television set. As close as I can remember it was a 12" black and white in a cabinet. Wish I still had that cabinet ! It also meant purchasing a rather large aerial to receive signals as London at that time did not have a local T.V. station. That came the following year.

The whole package must have set my parents back a months salary.  The channels available were from Detroit, and Kitchener.

So what did I watch ? As far as I remember it was mostly westerns, and Howdy Doody.


I do not think I missed a program.
I was glued to the T.V. That hasn't changed much in 60 years.
Loved the program. The actors also showed up for a Toronto Maple Leaf hockey game. A plus in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment